By Sister Cindy
My views on the topic of mental illness have been strongly influenced by two books that I read in Fall of 2012:
“The Emperor’s New Drugs, Exploding the Antidepressant Myth” by Irving Kirsch, Ph.D 2010
“Anatomy of an Epidemic, Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America,” by Robert Whitaker.
Neither of these authors are Christians; however I think that they are clear thinkers on these topics and give convincing scientific evidence for their view. I ask you to please research the topic further and please consider reading these books.
1) The clinical tests that the drug companies have done show that antidepressants do not work any better than placebos.
2) Scientific data shows that the chemical imbalance theory is a myth. No, you do not have a problem with your neurotransmitters.
3) Depression is a serious problem, but drugs are not the answer. Outdoor exercise and healthy diet are a start
1) Fifty years of scientific research, closely examined, shows that psychotropic drugs harm, rather than help patients over the long run.
2) There is no convincing scientific evidence to support the low-serotonin hypothesis of depression or the high dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia.
3) The psychotropic drugs giving to adults and children are actually increasing and/or causing the symptoms of mental illness.
Remarks from Sis. Cindy:
You are a product of your choices!
You are not the prisoners of your neurotransmitters!
Science has not discovered any biological cause for mental illness.
Students don't give your soul to psychotropic drugs!
Whitaker gives many examples of middle aged people who started taking these drugs in college because of a bout with depression or a crisis in their lives and now they regret it. “You have this problem with your neurotransmitters so here take Zoloft, ok that is no longer working so try Prozac, when that doesn't work try Effexor, and then when you have trouble sleeping, here take a sleeping pill.” Their lives became a cycle of stronger drugs and their symptoms are worse than ever. I hope to reach some of you before you become like the people that Whitaker writes about.
I advise against dropping the medications immediately but encourage you to become informed on the matter know what the risks are and consider better solutions to your very real problems. Find a Christian or holistic doctor who will help you find better answers. Also seek the Lord Jesus Christ!
Recommended Bible Verses:
1. Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
2. Deuteronomy 28:65 And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, neither shall the sole of thy foot have rest: but the LORD shall give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind.
3. Proverbs 21:27 The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more, when he bringeth it with a wicked mind?
4. Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
5. Daniel 5:20 But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him.
6. Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
7. Mark 5:15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.
8. Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
9. Luke 12:29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
10. Romans 1:28, And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient.
11. Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
12. Romans 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
13. Romans 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
14. Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.